Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sweet Potato, Brown Rice, Chick Pea Salad and Lots More Salad

Its funny how as an adult I am very partial to a good Hippy salad, as a younger person I would have rather eaten my elbow.  I found this awesome Hippy salad in a hospital food court a few years ago.

Have you ever been to a hospital food court?  They are funny places, all the options have to be healthy choices, low fat, low sugar and sodium etc. They also have to be able to fit in take away packaging, be cheap and able to offer some comfort when most people there are looking for some comfort food action.  Many people from all walks of life use a hospital food court and it is very very difficult for some people to make a choice.    A bit like having to eat street food in an exotic Asian country 10 years ago before we were introduced to those food through TV foodies.   Needless to say the Hot Chip queue in a Hospital Food court is always long.   I digress.

I thought this was one of the best salads ever and raced straight home to make my own version.

Sweet Potato, Brown Rice, Chick Pea and Lots More Salad


5 cups cooked Brown Rice - I like to over cook my rice slightly
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled brushed with a good oil and roasted till cooked
1  245g can of Chick Peas
1/2 cup pine nuts roasted - I just pop them in the oven for a few mins while I cook the potato
1 green onion, sliced
3 tea spoons of a nice yummy oil, like macadamia, rice bran, avocado
2 table spoons of balsamic vinegar
1 table spoon of mustard, seeded or dijon

Mix it all together.

I like to let it all sit for a while to let all the ingredients to meld, then taste and add more Balsamic or mustard if needed.   Really nice warm or cold and sometimes even better the next day when more flavour fusion happens.








1 comment:

  1. that sounds delish! definitely putting that on my things to cook list!
    thanks for sharing it!
    xo

    ReplyDelete