Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Spelt Banana and Oat Cake - Yum

I have never been a huge fan of Banana bread or cakes until we had The Great Banana Glut of 2013.  It was one of those weeks when I brought home 8 banans, Mr Daddy came home with 8 bananas and a neighbour gave us a clutch of home grown bananas.  We ate as many as we could, before they all ripened over the same two days.  We had banana smoothies, yogurt, froze some for later smoothies and I knew it was time to make a cake or two.

I experimenting with a few recipes and this one is my favourite.

See, still lots more bananas to go...
2 large bananas (I have discovered that if you throw them into the mixer whole, with the creamed butter and sugar they mash up beautifully)
90g butter
1/2 light brown sugar (I like low sugar but if you prefere sweeter, go up to 1 cup.)
2 eggs
1 cup wholemeal plain spelt flour
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 to 1 cup of milk (start with 1/2 and add more if needed)

Beat butter and sugar, add bananas then the eggs one at a time.  Add flour and mix well with milk as required.  Add oats and nuts until well combined.  I like it to look like a cup cake batter so add more milk if needed.  (Spelt flour always needs a little more liquid than normal flour.)  If you add too much milk pop in some more oats to suck it up.

Bake in the oven at 180 for about 40 mins or the top looks golden and you can test with a clean skewer.

Allow to cool, I don't ice this cake, its delicious plain or spread with butter.  It freezes well, I like to freeze it sliced so I can grab a slice on demand.



No comments:

Post a Comment