Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pie Glorious Pie

                     
Grandmas pumpkin patch went crazy this year and she has pumpkins galore, which is very lucky for us.   I often find a bag of peeled and cut up pumpkin just waiting to be cooked on my kitchen bench when Grandma has been for a visit.  Today I also happen to have a few eggs in the fridge and a sage bush that has gone crazy.  Doesn't that sound like I need to make quiche?

I remember the first time a made a quiche in year eight home economics it was the most painful process.   I can't believe how complex that teacher made a very simple recipe, she nearly ruined a beautiful future love affair for me.  It so easy and versatile for what ever you have that needs to be used up. (I use ready made pastry which I guess does speed the process up considerably.)


Pumpkin Sage and Fetta Quiche

150 g bacon cooked and chopped
4 eggs
150ml of cream
¾ cup of crumbled fetta
1 onion
1 handful of fresh sage
1 cup of cooked pumpkin (steamed is fine)
1 sheet of ready-made puff pastry.

Caramelize onions and sage and allow to cool, cook bacon.
Grease pie/flan dish and line with pastry.  Trim pastry edges or fold over into the centre of the dish to make extra thick pastry sides.
Spread cooled bacon and onion over the bottom of the dish. 
Layer pumpkin and fetta over bacon and onion.
Wisk eggs and cream well with a fork then pour over ingredients in the dish. Decorate top with fresh sage leaves.
Cook in 200°C oven for 15 mins then turn down to 150 and cook for another 15 to 20 mins.  Or until top is golden, and the centre is set (doesn’t look like jelly when wobbled.)
Serve hot or warm with a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment